Friday 5 June 2015

THREE, TWO, ONESIE

 
Amanda and I were in the smoking room at the bank.  Yeah, they used to have them, honest.  In the good old days you were at liberty to kill yourself slowly on the clock, and the bank’s main entrance didn’t look like closing time at the Hippodrome.

I was showcasing my new, dark brown, three-piece suit.  I spun round and the smoke offered an additional choreography.  Personally, I think it worked really well.
“What d’you think?” I said.
Amanda waved her fag towards me.  “You’re not cut out for this banking malarkey.”
“What?  Why not?”
“Well look at you.  You look like a cross between Professor Yaffle and Mr Hanky The Christmas Poo.”
“Well he sounds clever.  Not sure about the Hanky poo part tho.”

It was always the same.  Suits and me just didn’t go together.  Most mornings on my way to work, I felt like I’d put in an eight-hour day before I even got to the office.  Shower, wet shave, clean shirt, collar stiffeners like razor clams, cufflinks like drawing pins, tie like a noose, jacket, handkerchief, jabby pointy watch, brogues with sharp edges that had to be shoe-horned on. 

Daniel Craig and his smug suits : a SPECTRE to me long before filming started


Even with all this effort, I looked awkward.  I’d usually have to hold my stomach in and my back fat would poke out if not checked on the minute.  I never mastered the art of walking in leather-soled shoes either.  The slightest suggestion of rain and I’d be clinging to the outside of Waitrose, screaming at my own reflection in wet marble.
At my workstation, I spent my days sucking in and sitting up and just rolling around in front of flashing red numbers like Billy Bunter.

“Dave – you don’t look comfortable here,” said Harry.  “Why don’t you get Guru to sort you out?”
Harry was borderline-hot ex-Army and his shoes always clicked like a horse coming down the corridor.  He always ironed something into his shirt called a sweat crease and he was in danger of saluting everyone after every morning meeting.
“Who or what is Guru?” I said.
“Oh, he does all the top brass, mate.  I’ll get you his number.  If he can’t sort you out, no-one can.”

Harry insisted his Asian market updates were kept informal

#

Two days later and Guru, tailor to the top floor, was fussing around me, heavy-breathing, measuring everything and anything reachable. 

“Mmm …” he said, stepping back and tilting his head to one side.  He looked like he was doing long division, his eyebrows drawn together and downwards with confusion.  “I’ve never seen anything quite like it.  Were you ever in a car accident … when you were younger perhaps?”
“Not that I remember," I said.  "Although there wasn’t a safety belt or a headrest in sight.”
“Something else life-changing?  Maybe?”
“Um.  I did do a cream round,” I said.
“A cream round?”
“Yes.  I used to sell cream door-to-door in Aberdeen.”
“Interesting.  How much did you used to sell?”
“Not very much.  That’s why I had to carry most of it on my back.”
“It could have been that.  Anyway, Mr Vanderpump, I’m afraid to tell you that your arms are quite different lengths.  So are your legs.  I’m not sure.  It doesn’t quite add up.  In all my forty years …”
“Guru – please just fax Calcutta and get them to run all this up pronto.  I’ve got to get back.  I’ve got some Greek long-dated zero coupon convertibles to sell and frankly, they make selling pots of cream to every fiftieth house in Scotland seem like a dream job.  And quite lucrative.”

With the right tie, Guru said people wouldn't notice.

#

Despite more pins and adjustments than your average haberdashery might see in a year, the right sleeve always rode up and the trousers were too short at the front, too long at the back.  It was like their seamstress was working part-time for “Tales of the Unexpected”.

“You need to stand differently,” said Guru, prodding at me on the fifth fitting like a petulant horse.  “Stand forward and they will be right.  Twist your upper body.  Ok, head up Mr Vanderpump, up.  Ok.  Just hold that.  Now, pull your core in.”
“This is fucking ridiculous,” I said.
“It’s a suit, Mr Vanderpump.  Not a magic cape.  There.  You’re ready – you looking great Mr Dave.  Go.  Please.”

Harry grimaced and took cover behind Amanda as they saw me sailing across the trading floor in my new get-up, like a big bride in a meringue on wheels with an imaginary book on my head.  I imagined Joan Collins might feel like this on the red carpet.  One false move and it was all going to come tumbling down and out, buttons popping right and left, shoulder pads and back fat and gunt and all.   
“Wow, sorry mate,” Harry said.  “I feel responsible.” 
Amanda looked at me like she had stomach cramps.

I bravely soldiered on, sitting down to do a lengthy conference call about what we were going to do about this whole collapsing financial system thing.  I couldn’t concentrate.  The trousers cut in and rode up and the jacket twisted me until I was barely able to breathe.  I was forced to let the phone drop from my hand like I’d been poisoned.  I needed to be free of all this.  “I can’t do it," I said.  "It’s not working.”
Someone on the other end decided that, for once, I was right and we should just leave the financial situation as it was a bit difficult to fix and it was nearly lunchtime.

Popping to Pret was a humiliation

#

Luckily I didn’t have to be uncomfortable for long.  Days later, Ed was sitting in the corner meeting room, grimly shaking his head and talking about deteriorating market conditions.  I paced around, desperate to free myself of Guru’s miserable and not inexpensive cloak.
“Dave,” said Ed.  “Why don’t you sit down and we can go through the terms of your redundancy?”
“I’d prefer to stand if that’s alright.  This is all very difficult for me.”
“I understand,” he said.
“I don’t think you do.  I’d like to sit but I’m scared.  I’m not sure what will happen.”
“We’re all scared of these financial markets, Dave.  We’re all scared.”

#

For people that go to work in normal, civilian clothes, they have no real understanding of the horrors of suit-wearing.  It’s great if you enjoy dressing up and would secretly like to wear a hat and shoulder pads, maybe carry a snuff box, but alas – for everyone else, a life of misery.
These days, if it’s not soft cotton and pull-on, I’m not interested.  Quite simply, I’m drawn to the drawstring.  A capsule wardrobe a la American Apparel and I’m thrilled.  I literally could not be happier.

 “For your birthday present,” said Hubby, “I was thinking of getting you something for your new career direction.”
My back stiffened suddenly, chin jutting away from my martini.  “New career direction?”
“Yeah - a onesie.”
“What?” I said.  “Are you kidding me?   You mean like a one-piece soft leisure suit to wear around the house?  Made of cotton?  With a hood?”
“Yeah, would you not like that?”
“Yes I would.  I would like that.  I’d like that a lot.”


DVP